Sunday, 4 January 2009

Exploding boxes and New Beginnings!


I've been having a wonderful wander through some great 'crafty' blogs and am feeling inspired! It's great to see other people's creations and I love reading about new techniques and products. I really want to dive headfirst into my stash and make something but I can't see that happening at the moment.

One of the reasons for starting this blog was to chart our move to the South East coast from the Midlands. Other Half and I have long wanted to live by the sea and our dream is about to come true. We have bought a beautiful flat in Eastbourne in an Edwardian house about a minute and a half from the beach. For years I've gazed longingly at it whenever we've been on holiday, never dreaming we'd be living there. I still have to pinch myself every time I think about it! As we carry out the work I will be posting pictures so we can be see our progress!


I've posted some pictures of the view from the front door - one was taken about 5 weeks ago at about 7a.m - the sunrise was spectacular - and the other was taken in August. Mum bought us the Home Sweet Home sign and we cracked open a bottle of champagne when we slept in the flat for the first time in November.

The flat does need quite a bit doing to it - not huge structural things but quite a bit of TLC. We are hoping to go down every couple of weeks to carry out work but it does mean time for any other pursuits is very limited.


It also means the serious business of clearing the clutter home here can no longer be ignored, so my craft stuff has had to be put in boxes. I really rebelled against putting it away as I love to be able to have a 'dabble' when the mood takes me. It also meant I wouldn't be able to carry on selling my cards so would lose my customer base but trying to do Ebay, go to work full time, keep an eye on Mum, clear the house here and do up the flat down there was like trying to keep lots of plates spinning in the air at the same time! The crafting has had to go temporarily and even now I'm not sure how I'll get on.


Work has become a nightmare - a place I hate going to- with a largely demoralised staff and children who are out of control. Sadly, physical and verbal aggression are the norm. The school is being closed down in August after a disasterous Ofsted report but will re-open as an Acadamy funded by a wealthy philanthropist. The future is very uncertain with staff being kept largely in the dark about the future of their jobs.



50% of the staff have already left so there's an inordinate amount of supply staff, many of whom turn up once and refuse ever to come back! A considerable amount of staff are also out long term with stress so there is definitely a feeling amongst those of us left of hanging on by our fingernails!


I know I will be leaving but after working there for so many years it makes me sad to see it in such a state. Other Half and I won't make the final move until Mum has sold her house and bought a retirement apartment in Eastbourne, so I'm determined to stay at school as long as I can. I'm afraid my attitude now is that every day I can stick it out is another day's salary!


So it is with reluctance that I have to 'let go' of the crafting for now. However when I think of what's ahead by the sea I really can't complain.


I thought I would post some pictures of an exploding box which I made for my Mum. It was one of the last things I made before packing everything away. I also thought it would prove I do make things sometimes.


This has been a bit of a ramble but .....that's what I do best sometimes!


'Til next time.....







7 comments:

  1. A very quick visit Puss to see how you are getting on and it's looking fab! Well done!!

    love Dingle.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goregous exploding box - and love the pictures of Eastbourne. So sorry that school is such a struggle - so sad. Hang on in there! Hope mum sells her house and get s retirement flat soon. All the best with all the boxing up (presumably lots of large boxes for radios too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box puss! I keep on planning to make one!
    Love the photos from your new pad, I bet you are soooooo excited! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Puss - long time no contact but I've only just found your blog again. Lovely to hear you're finally doing the move after all that dreaming - I wish you the best of luck with it all.

    That box is stunning btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy New year Puss - you are going to have a fab 2009

    ReplyDelete